Saturday, January 24, 2009

Its OK to be OK

We had a rough experience this week. My son's friend beat G at Super Smash Bros. Since then my son has lost all interest in video games. Now that sounds like a good thing doesn't it? At first I thought so. However, as the week progressed I realized this was a deep blow to my son's self esteem.

My daughter mentioned to me that G was in deep denial. He won't admit he lost the game and is avoiding all comment and interaction w/ the game. She proceeded to ask me why can't he get over it...

So as I investigated I found out that this is the "thing" G believes he is "good at" with his peers. To be defeated means he doesn't have "anything" he's good at anymore. Now this isn't true, after all he's an amazing artist. However, its how he feels. The hard thing for G is that there are so many things he is struggling with compared to his peers. G like all kids desires to belong, but socially is having such a hard time. His auditory processing makes it difficult to follow the ever changing topics of his peers. When they do get on a topic he enjoys it turns into a one way conversation...


I wanted to take out the OK book and read it again, but its not appropriate. Now that G is getting older, he's getting sick of my coaching.


Ughhhh....


I feel like we're in a new phase again and I'm not sure what to do. So in the meantime I'm going to pray for wisdom.

No comments: