Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Mean People Stink!!!

G has been watching me drop off mail and priority orders for National Autism Resources for quite awhile. I thought since we do this regularly this would be a good place for him to work on doing things independently. So first we started by G helping me carry the orders to the desk. Then I let him carry all of the orders to the desk while I reminded him to say hello to the postal workers.

For the last few weeks I have walked into the Post Office and watched G drop off the orders until last week I waited just outside the door.


Today I waited outside in the car while G went into the Post Office by himself... Hooray! This should have been great...


When G came out He was agitated and didn't want to talk. So he waited in the car while I went in to find out what was wrong.

Inside Gene, one of the postal workers, yelled, "Hi Bonnie, why don't you come up here."


Then he explained that when G came in to drop off the orders, some rude and impatient lady yelled at him to quit cutting in line. G didn't know what to do and froze. When Gene saw what was happening he told G it was fine and that he could come to the front and drop off the mail.

Can I just say that if looks could kill, I would have killed that lady with my eyes. I had laser eyes bugging out of my head. GRRRRRRRRRRRR...

So I went back to the car, told G sometimes people are rude and that he did nothing wrong. Tomorrow when he feels better I'm going to talk to him about what he can say if something like this should happen again. We are going back to the Post Office and we are going to get this down!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Grrr. People never cease to amaze me. Good luck!

Queenbuv3 said...

I'm sure you will be able to help him understand how to deal with rude people when he encounters one again. Unfortunately, rude people are everywhere and learning how to NOT burn them with your eye lazers is a necessary social skill ; ) Hope things go better next time!

walking said...

We can only hope she is childless . . .

caljoy said...

I agree with all the comments, it is also a great time to teach them compassion! I know, I know, that is not the first thought that comes to mind in this situation. BUT we can ALL be reminded that perhaps she just lost her job, her child could be sick in the hospital, perhaps she is mailing bills and cannot pay all of them. It certainly doesn't excuse her rudeness or impatient or horrible lack of manners in public, but it might make G have God's heart and not see it personally. At least it works for me when I want to pull out my lazer eyes...

Casdok said...

LAser eyes do come in handy dont they - pity we have to use them. Hope all goes well with G.