Saturday, October 15, 2011

When Rumors Become Truths

The Internet is amazing to me because the amount of information we can get is incredibly vast. We can read the news, watch video interviews by experts, search professional databases all from the comfort of our home. There is lots, and lots, and lots of information out there. But is it true?

I have watched assumptions and rumors become truths. One glaring assumption that has become a "truth" - families of a child with autism are much more likely to divorce. I've heard this "truth" touted on TV shows, quoted in newspapers, blogs, you name it. However, the truth is - this is NOT true! As a matter of fact, parents of kids with autism are NOT more likely to divorce. You can read the research here.

But rumors are nothing new. I was reading today about Mary Magdalene, the former prostitute, or so I thought. After all there are Magdalene houses all over the world that minister to women of the night. Well in my study I was surprised to learn no where in the Bible is she referred to as a prostitute. It turns out that rumors have turned into truths for this woman. You can read all about her in Matthew 27:56; Matthew 27:61; Matthew 28:1; Mark 15:40; Mark 15:47; Mark 16:1-19; Luke 8:2; Luke 24:10; John 19:25; John 20:1-18. If you take the time to read it you'll find no reference to prostitution.

So once again I'm reminded there is nothing new "under the sun" and just because the majority of people believe something is true, does not mean it is.

This reminds me of a therapy, the gluten- and casein-free diet. Some claim it "cures" autism and others claim it's all just "wishful thinking" on the part of the parents. At this point the research says we need more research. Nothing is definitive, the GFCF diet may significantly help a subset of the autistic population. It didn't help my son, but I've heard many first hand reports from very logical parents that it did work for their children. At this point I'm going to assume these parents aren't morons.


I think part of the reason we don't hear "the GFCF diet might work" in the media is because it's not exciting. It's not like saying she's a prostitute, or here's the cure, or those parents are just delusional.

Everyone is clamoring
to be heard on the Internet, so where does that leave us, the common person. It leaves us with the responsibility of digging a little deeper. Thankfully, with the Internet you can e-mail a newspaper, professional expert or blogger and ask where they found their information. Can you send me the links? By the way, for the most part I've included my references, but if you want more information on anything I've referred to feel free to ask me.

2 comments:

About Me - T Earl said...

enjoyed thumbing down through your blog. i'm a father of a 6 y/o on the spectrum. looking forward to his paintings and pictures ... or whatever suits his fancy one day.

i ran across your blog back in the fall and saw your link to the cnn article. i admit, i had heard this rumor many times myself. it, quite frankly, scared the bajezits out of me. married and father of three, i have plenty of challanges - don't need some impending, albeit mythical, 80% divorce rate chasing after me.

i also enjoyed your statement on the Genesis passage. i am not exactly "happy" with god at the moment - primarily jaded due to "life" happening, but mostly cynical due to the fog that autism has brought to our family. i am back and forth with my walk, but i am still walking. always encouraging to read someone elses uplifting words.

good luck to your family and your son in your continued journey with autism.

Bonnie said...

Earl,
Hang in there, I know it is hard but God can use all things for His good. Autism has made me a stronger, more compassionate and loving person. I know God can use autism for good in your life too.

May God richly bless you and your family!