The five steps are:
- Ask the child what happened without judgement.
- Ask the child to identify their mistake. (Often children only know that someone got upset, but don't understand their own role in the outcome.) I don't agree with this after all there is no excuse for bullying, instead I might ask what could you have done differntly?
- Help the child identify the cue they missed or mistake they made.
- Create an imaginary but similar scenario where the child can make the right choice.
- Lastly, give the child "social homework" by asking him to practice this new skill.
To read the full article click here.
To buy the book this article is based on click here.