Friday, February 26, 2010

The UPS Store


I had to go to the UPS store today. I love the UPS store because I love enjoy the UPS ladies. Being somewhat of a hermit, these ladies offer me a nice hello w/ a smile, brief conversation and I go off on my merry way. Easy social interactions, just the way I like it!

I walked in, checked my mail and went to the front desk to pick up a package. As Bernie, my favoriet UPS lady, handed me my package out of the corner of my eye I saw an elderly lady next to me fall over. Bernie asked if she was all right, and her husband replied, “it’s ok she just fainted.”

The elderly lady’s face was ashen and she wasn’t responding well to her husband’s questions. Her husband said she was OK so I could leave with a good conscience right? After all I was, and am, and continue to be crazy busy. A few people walked out and I was about to, but I remembered Jesus said to love your neighbor as yourself. If I were an elderly person who had just fainted I wouldn’t want everyone to walk on by…

So I told the man, “I’m CPR certified, would you like me to stay with you?” He replied, “yes.” So I sat beside the lady on the floor. I could see that her husband cared for her deeply. He was holding her head, a loving gesture, but not good for blood flow… So I said, “we should probably lay her head flat, it will help her if she’s fainted.” He gently laid her head down and we started talking. After about five minutes or so her color came back and she started feeling better. We both helped her up and leaning on her husband she walked outside and got in the truck.

As I was leaving the UPS ladies thanked me, it turns out no one else knew CPR. I felt shaky walking out of there, the truth is I’m trained in CPR but I hope I never have to use it.

1 comment:

walking said...

Thank you for brightening my Sunday with such a true and lovely, living parable . . .