Friday, September 7, 2007

Finished the First Week


Bonnie after the first week of homeschool...


We finished the first week of homeschool and I'm fried. I've had no coffee breaks with friends... blah, blah blah. So it wasn't too bad, but I am definitely missing the break aspect that school provides!

OK on a positive note, my son is learning and we have started some reading comprehension strategies. The first one we started, is reading the last page of the chapter to remind you of what you read. The second strategy is reading the title of the chapter to guess what is going to happen next. So we'll see how it goes, I'm suppose to keep introducing strategies one at a time until they become natural. So when these became a habit, then I'll add a new one.

Thank God it's Friday, no homeschool tomorrow, just chores, but that's OK because I'll have my children do them... (Evil mother that I am!)

7 comments:

Shawn said...

That picture cracked me up! Congrats on your 1st week of successful homeschooling! If I were there, I'd bring over some mocha around...say...4pm and we could hang while the big girls played and we bribe G into "babysitting" Jolie :)

Anonymous said...

One week down... how many to go?? :)

(ducks and runs away... :) )

S.

Katherine said...

Love the picture! You are becoming quite the blogger! I hope today's shopping spree was the perfect antidote for your busy week... love you friend!

LAA and Family said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! I'm so glad to find someone else in my shoes...just taking up homeschooling a special needs child and all.

I'm very very glad for the weekend too! My husband is away, so I'm letting the kids who are home have lots of free time and I'm organizing and filing and cleaning like a madwoman today; all gearing up for a busy week ahead!

I lived in Concord briefly back in the early 70's, when I was in 4th grade. I went to Clayton Valley Elementary School, is it still around? I still miss the gorgeous view we had of Mt. Diablo!

Anonymous said...

Yup I'm a great believer in doing away with those child labour laws too!
Best wishes

caljoy said...

Glad you are real about you and your struggles and your joys. We need more of that.
I got something for you and the kids from Selma this past weekend. I will try and drop it off this week

walking said...

Bonnie, Congratulations!!

After TWELVE years of homeschooling, we finally bought an expresso machine this year . . .

It does take time to adjust, but there are advantages that often emerge in time. My kids are their own people--they like their own music, their own books, their own shows, etc. They dress how they like and are not addicted to labels because you can homeschool in your pajamas if you want. They think their own thoughts and are not afraid to say what they think.

One thing that helped me at first was to get away all by myself for a few hours on the weekend and do whatever I wanted. Usually, that meant a book and a cup of coffee!