Friday, June 8, 2007

Neurotypical is Overrated

I troll different online groups once in awhile to read up on the latest trends ideas and so on. As I do I often come across posts from new parents devastated that their child has been diagnosed with some form autism. I remember how that felt one minute you know what to expect and feel competent about raising your child. The next minute everything is uncertain: things that work for most kids won't work for yours and no one will give you any guarantees. Its a tough time, I'm glad I found other parents that were a little farther along to help and encourage me.

Anyhow, some have proposed developing an autism test. Like Down Syndrome people would be able to test their unborn child to see if they have autism. In response to this Temple Grandin said "once we do that we're going to get rid of all the scientist, engineers and nerds." I wholeheartedly agree. I enjoy meeting people who embrace their idiosyncrasies because life is just too short to worry about what other people think. Just because someone engages in life a little differently does not mean they are unhappy. As a matter of fact some of the most satisfied, content, and interesting people I have met are on the spectrum. That has given me as a parent so much peace, joy and hope. As a matter of fact, I think being neurotypical is definitely over rated.

Its hot outside I am currently enjoying a cup of ice coffee, Starbucks breakfast blend with lots of milk and sugar... ohhhh life is good.

No comments: