Monday, June 4, 2007

New York Times Article on SPD

Today the New York Times came out with a good introductory article on sensory processing disorder you can read more about it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/health/psychology/05sens.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1181009525-E/ia4Y/MVUvcABA6gL/tSA&oref=slogin

Recently at a conference I had dinner with Temple Grandin which was awesome. We shared some funny stories and both agreed that sensory problems can make life difficult. I told her about my cocoon (a queen size flannel sheet that "Louise" sewed for me so that I could sleep in hotel beds without the distraction of strange smells or scratchy sheets.) I started traveling with a cocoon after I bombed a talk I gave for Sensory Resources. Although I was exhausted I couldn't bring myself to sleep in the bed because it smelled like pee. I tried talking logically to myself, covered the pillow with a t-shirt, kept the sheets from my face... but I couldn't sleep because I WAS IN A PEE BED! Oh well I can laugh about it now...

Currently enjoying Starbucks House Decaf. Although today "Louise" and I compared a Starbucks & Peet's Latte. Peet's won big time. More to come on that later...

No comments: